PDA

View Full Version : This used to be such a nice place

canuckotter
Feb 26, 2008, 9:25 PM
Everyone here used to be such wonderful people. Everyone got along (for the most part) even though we didn't all see eye to eye on a lot of issues. Now it seems like every second thread is full of angry people. What happened?

The Barefoot Contess
Feb 26, 2008, 9:34 PM
People argue, that is what happens, and sometimes we don't know the difference between arguing and attacking others.

But overall, I like the spirit. I mean, if it were not for insults and lack or respect, this would be so boring. No, seriously, sometimes the tone of some comments is nastier than it should be, but overall the discussions are interesting and stimulating.

Falke
Feb 26, 2008, 9:45 PM
*Shrug*

This is one of the nicer places I have been in all honestly.

Ocasio otoko
Feb 26, 2008, 9:49 PM
Everyone here used to be such wonderful people. Everyone got along (for the most part) even though we didn't all see eye to eye on a lot of issues. Now it seems like every second thread is full of angry people. What happened?

I only post very now and then. I don't get involved in the heated discussions, I find them a waste of time because everyone wants to be right, no one wants to knowledge they could be wrong, or that together in a democratic way they could find a solution or at least a middleground.:([/

jem_is_bi
Feb 26, 2008, 10:31 PM
People argue, that is what happens, and sometimes we don't know the difference between arguing and attacking others.

But overall, I like the spirit. I mean, if it were not for insults and lack or respect, this would be so boring. No, seriously, sometimes the tone of some comments is nastier than it should be, but overall the discussions are interesting and stimulating.

I agree, too much harmony is really bad! Occasionally, it is good to have your views of an issue attacked. It makes you rethink your position and change it when it is at odds with the truth and hurtful to others.
Besides, it is relatively easy to identify those that only degrade others and never contribute thoughtful commentary, help for others or add a little fun to life for all of us.
Besides, we all make a few comments that we eventually regret.
So be happy when your loved and don’t be too upset when your not.

JEM

shameless agitator
Feb 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
Everyone here used to be such wonderful people. Everyone got along (for the most part) even though we didn't all see eye to eye on a lot of issues. Now it seems like every second thread is full of angry people. What happened?Are we even on the same forum? I've been involved in several heated discussions & we've ripped each other's ideas to shreds quite a bit, but I haven't seen any personal attacks in a long time.

12voltman59
Feb 27, 2008, 1:27 AM
This happens from time to time on here--my experience shows that those who come on and do this tend to not be here for long--they get bored or something, then fade away--

I would not let it bum ya too much--

I do say this--if I got a bit testy and such in some of my posts--I apologize---

I do tend to ramble and once and again am guilty of putting out my own hyperbolic postings--sometimes just to stir things up---I try to keep things in a generalistic or generic fashion--and not get personal--but I know that I did allow myself to do so recently---

Don't give up on us though----we all maybe having a form of hormone rushes or something----

God--its soooo hot in here!!! LOL!!!!

onewhocares
Feb 27, 2008, 7:28 AM
Well in my eyes things are always revolving here. Some come, some go. As I have mentioned in previous comments, I too find that things as of late are not as civil as they once were and there are more personal attacks which I find not called for. Open and Honest discussion is a main stay here, but some are over the top for my taste. But I have faith that this too shall pass. Stick around for the wild ride, the genuine people here are worth it.

Belle

proseros
Feb 27, 2008, 7:46 AM
Well in my eyes things are always revolving here. Some come, some go. As I have mentioned in previous comments, I too find that things as of late are not as civil as they once were and there are more personal attacks which I find not called for. Open and Honest discussion is a main stay here, but some are over the top for my taste. But I have faith that this too shall pass. Stick around for the wild ride, the genuine people here are worth it.

Belle

I agree-

Except the prevailing danger that the place becomes so littered with anti-social dudder-nut in-fighting of the kind so severe as to ward off anyone who might be open and honest or have anything meaningful to contribute at all, having lost any interest or motivation to sift through or circumvent the least presence of posters who foster such decadence.

BiShadoman
Feb 27, 2008, 11:19 AM
I agree that it used to be a real nice place, but lately if you do not agree with someone it has been ok to rip them and attack them in the open and say things like they have aids or something like that. It used to be ok to have differing opinions on here but what the heck has happened?:2cents:

shameless agitator
Feb 27, 2008, 11:47 AM
I really think I must be on a completely different forum than the rest of you. I haven't seen any of the stuff you're talking about. Could somebody let me know what threads all this incivility is happening in?

Ninnian
Feb 27, 2008, 12:07 PM
Alittle discord is a Good thing- it makes you evaluate your mindset-

HOWEVER- if you think all is lost(etc adnauseum), Im wondering if you chanced to glance at the "help" thread just a few columns down from this one?

There you'll find people reaching out to help a confused someone who they Dont know, and doing it in differing and yet loving and supportive ways.

I was going to post on there- until I remebered reading this thread and thought that mabye what little I had to thank folks for doing was needing to be said HERE more.

darkeyes
Feb 27, 2008, 1:14 PM
Still is a nice place..fulla luffly peeps...sure sum get huffy, sum r obnoxious, sum talk bollox, an sum bollok otha peeps... aint that like the real world??? Peeps shudn b quite so touchy is all me sez an take ruff wiv the smooth... if me got upset every time sum 1 spoke crap or had go at me me wud neva eva poke me nose outa the door! TF me a lil more tuff than that!

someotherguy
Feb 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
When people turn from the ideas and the topic to attack each other directly, the forum goes bad. Forums attract people for togetherness but also those who like to engage in ego battles. Educated, intelligent folk can discuss ideas in disagreement all day and night without getting hostile about it. You throw one moronic grump into the mix and every thread gets soured.

If you look at where threads go south, I think you'll notice it happens where someone posts directly at someone else, making it personal when the proper response should better have been a comment about the point of disagreement. Then that person responds to being smacked, and you have a scuffle. If others join in it's a bar fight. Meanwhile where possible good threads continue along about their topic. Egos hijack threads to get attention.

*pan*
Feb 28, 2008, 11:38 AM
hi, my :2cents: to this article is, people in society are becomming a bunch of winers and complainers, extreemists wanting to push their point of view and change the world to suite their expectations wants and desires instead of the live and let live policy that would require tolerance and paticence which no one seems to have anymore. this is why when a conversation in a thread dosent go the way they think it should they become angry, the word compassion for your fellow man isn't even mentioned anymore. no one has any empathy, compassion, feelings or understand for anyone anymore, unless it benifits them, it's all about me me me and what can i get from you and what do i have to do to get it, and lets not forget " get out of my way i'm in a hurry. i see so many angry people caught up in their own bullshit that they reflect it on others. my view of them is "this is america full of diversity love it or leave it. people who don't like the smell of smoke want everyone to get rid of their fire places and stop burning wood, here in illinois their trying to ban fire places and wood stoves. they already banned smoking ciggretts, i feel anyone who takes freedoms from another because their personal dislike of it is un american, and should go to some country where everything is illegal lol. oh well this is turning into a rant so i'll just let it go.
the only thing i hate in this world in people are snitches, liers, and extreemists that push their points of view on others.

eddy10
Feb 28, 2008, 12:01 PM
I believe this is a great, supportive site. I find that the mood I am in at the time may dictate how I take someone else's posting. And, by the same token, a mood may influence my posting. So, if I, or any of us offend from time to time, please take it with a grain of salt and a pinch of understanding.

**Peg**
Feb 28, 2008, 6:49 PM
well.... I've been here now for 8 months and chatted at "another" place for nearly 7 years and it degenerated into a pissing match/war zone and so I left. A bunch of people from ANOTHER place went into my previous place; wrecked it, and so I came here for refuge.

So far, so good. The regulars in the chatroom are awesome folk, very warm and welcoming and made me feel right at home. I refuse to get involved in any dramas, and should a fight erupt I put the perpetrator/responder on iggy immediately; even if either one is my friend. When the fight is over, I take the iggy off. Call me the 'c' word and you're on permanent iggy.

Bottom line is: if you think THIS place is bad, trust me, it's paradise compared to my old chatroom.

:tong:

**Peg**

dafydd
Feb 29, 2008, 12:12 PM
There are a few arrogant people here who never leave their computers.

d

wolfcamp
Feb 29, 2008, 3:50 PM
I have been involved in a few of these skirmishes, but I am not angry. In fact, I find it kind of fun and challenging. I would like to point out that I learn something every time I get involved in one of these discussions. I try very hard not to attack anyone in a personal way, but I am only human, and am sure that there are some who feel attacked. If that is the case, please forgive me.

I enjoy this place and I keep coming back because of the diversity of backgrounds and opinions. Everyone has a common bond because of their sexual preferences and values, but even there we have a large degree of variation. I could go to forums where everyone shares a common ideology, but that would be hardly any fun at all. I'd rather be here, listening to all of you and expressing my own views.

Wolfcamp

Mrs.F
Feb 29, 2008, 6:11 PM
I don't get involved anymore in posts and threads that are just way out in left field. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it but I think as of lately some do not have much tact in how they voice their opinions. We all have our own beliefs and we all think differently, but I don't like how some feel the need to be flat out rude about it!

It's still a good place to come, I still have many wonderful friends whom I met here and I still feel that is a place to call home.

canuckotter
Feb 29, 2008, 8:31 PM
Maybe it's just the titles that draw my attention tend to be attached to the ugly threads... Oh well. As long as there are still nice people on here like Mrs.F, things can't have gone too far off track. ;)

bisexualinsocal
Feb 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hey!!! What's going on here? Someone trying to NANNY up this message board?? We can all get along and say what's on our minds without personal attacks, I seen it happen several times before! No need to slap on the handcuffs, Don Corleone.

the mage
Mar 1, 2008, 11:10 AM

Big world big site.. the odds dictate an increase in disharmony.

Having a sexual nature in common does not make us the same.
Many people fear the differences and respond to alternate ideas with hostility as opposed to reason. Civility it seems, is in seeing the color of their eyes.

dafydd
Mar 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
Big world big site.. the odds dictate an increase in disharmony.

Having a sexual nature in common does not make us the same.
Many people fear the differences and respond to alternate ideas with hostility as opposed to reason. Civility it seems, is in seeing the color of their eyes.

what does that mean? , colour of eyes

canuckotter
Mar 1, 2008, 8:55 PM
Hey!!! What's going on here? Someone trying to NANNY up this message board?? We can all get along and say what's on our minds without personal attacks, I seen it happen several times before! No need to slap on the handcuffs, Don Corleone.
The irony... :rolleyes:

And dafydd, mage might be referring to people's tendency to turn into total douchebags when they believe themselves to be anonymous. Penny Arcade had a great comic explaining the phenomenon: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 Or maybe he was referring to something else. I don't know. I just thought it was a good excuse to post something funny. :tong:

Bloodflower
Mar 1, 2008, 9:13 PM
People here are the friendliest of any forum I've ever been to, hands down. :bipride: