Register

Tea Party conundrums

1. 12voltman59
    12voltman59
    The story in this link is mostly about some of the realities of governing that the Tea Party has come up against--but what is interesting to me is that they have a slide show featuring some of the very racist sorts of signs that show up at Tea Party rallies around the country--I know that I saw such signs at one such rally I happened upon a few years back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...09#slide=20072
  2. Brian
    Brian
    The recent open split between the Tea Party and the GOP establishment is interesting. I am referring to Rove saying he is going to start a new superPAC which will try to ensure only those who are "electable" (ie not some Tea Partiers) will win GOP primaries.

The right in Canada splintered for about 12 years from 1990 to about 2004. There were two right wings parties for that time. Eventually the vote spliting forced them to work it out and come back together. You could say the establishment won - but the compromise requires that the social conservatives have been given a voice and some other mostly symbolic concessions.

I am a bit surprised the split in the GOP is not more acute (in otherwords that the Tea Party is not really a new party yet). Then again it is different than the Canadian situation which was a split along the ideological lines of social conservatism vs the establishment; in the US I think the split is more along degrees: the far right (on all issues) vs the establishment (on all issues).

- Drew