Register

Interesting article---the author makes a case that public education is under threat

1. 12voltman59
    12voltman59
    I forget that this new aspect of the site has been added---I think that for now on--I am only going to post political sorts of things in this space and not on the main board.

I just got done reading this article earlier this evening.

I don't know if I agree with all that this person says---but I just figured I would share it anyhow.

http://www.alternet.org/visions/1544...chools/?page=1
  2. æonpax
    In my own relative youth, I had the privilege of being a member of our communities school board in a special election. (the former member had to leave due to personal problems) I was the youngest person ever elected, due to the dubious distinction of being "that big mouth" in the PTA. I am a strong proponent of education. After serving my year and a half term, I quit and removed all my daughters out of public school. The experience was eye opening, to say the least.

We are a school district in the "back 40" of Wisconsin and even there, I saw first hand the local and national groups pressuring for a curriculum that was heavily ring-wing, religiously based. There was at least one board member always trying to sneak in text books that were either covertly or overtly, Christian biased, at the cost of rewriting history and science. The person in question came from the "old guard" of the community whom were very much into their fundy beliefs. We clashed many times.

The threat these people pose to academic education is real and present. Texas presents a good example of the biased and wholly obfuscated curriculum's that confuse and denigrate centuries of academic education.
  3. Jason0012
    Jason0012
    Want a good scare read the book " The deliberate dumbing down of America". It made me want to home school my kids.