Register

What's wrong with the software running this site?

[FONT=[SIZE=4]Comic Sans MS]Hi everyone!

I love this site , although I don't know of any other bisexual sites.

I have nevertheless to complain about something going wrong with this site. While having a chat in the main room, it's quite usual to be kicked out for no reason in sometimes quite a short period of time. Sometimes even all the chatters are kicked out of the room at the same time. I've never had that experience using other chat rooms.

If that's annoying enough, I was trying to update my profile, adding some pics and telling a bit about me. After writing a lot in my ad and pressing the "save profile" button, everything except my pic dissappeared and I was asked to log again. After writing my long ad 5 times I got really tired of doing so, as my profile always disappeared and I was requested to log again!!!

That's also why even if I'm quite new to this site, when I get kicked out of the chat room a few times, I get quite disappointed and decide doing other things or going to other sites, and it's a pity as I think this site has a lot to offer to our community!!!

I'd love to hear from the moderators and/or the webmaster that this problem is being dealt with.

All the best,

rayosytruenos [/FONT][/SIZE]

Angry Re: What's wrong with the software running this site?

Quote Originally Posted by rayosytruenos

I have nevertheless to complain about something going wrong with this site. While having a chat in the main room, it's quite usual to be kicked out for no reason in sometimes quite a short period of time. Sometimes even all the chatters are kicked out of the room at the same time. I've never had that experience using other chat rooms.

If that's annoying enough, I was trying to update my profile, adding some pics and telling a bit about me. After writing a lot in my ad and pressing the "save profile" button, everything except my pic dissappeared and I was asked to log again. After writing my long ad 5 times I got really tired of doing so, as my profile always disappeared and I was requested to log again!!!

That's also why even if I'm quite new to this site, when I get kicked out of the chat room a few times, I get quite disappointed and decide doing other things or going to other sites, and it's a pity as I think this site has a lot to offer to our community!!!

I'd love to hear from the moderators and/or the webmaster that this problem is being dealt with.

All the best,

Hhhhmmm, not even the type of font seems to be working... and even when I tried to preview the post to see if it was how I wanted it... AGAIN THE SYSTEM TOLD ME I WAS NOT LOGGED IN AGAIN!!! (What it was not true!!!) So I went backwards a few pages till I saw my message again and just pressed the "submit reply" without checking the display of the message... Let's see now as I found it not very readable...

If not, I'll try once more or give up!!!

Re: What's wrong with the software running this site?

Hi everyone!

All the best,

rayosytruenos

All the best,

Hi Ray,

It's a cookies issue. You need to adjust your browser settings to allow a cookie from bisexual.com to be set. This keeps you logged in longer. If you are logged out while editting your profile/ad you will lose your edit, and without the cookie you are logged in only for a few minutes at a time.

I'm trying to think of a way we can warn members if the cookie isn't saved. But right now the only symptom is things like what you are seeing.

- Drew

Well, still not what i wanted, but by now i'm really tired of the problems of the software running this site... it's enought to discourage the most insistent people!!!

I wanted to make a point while still making it readable and visually pleasant, but this site is preventing me to do it...

I'd advice to make a few tests of the running software...

I guess I'm not going to even try to post again...

Sorry for my message if it has not displayed as I wanted, and I hope that at least you could read it.

All the best,

rayosytruenos
    Last edited by Drew; Sep 25, 2005 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    Hi Ray,

It's a cookies issue. You need to adjust your browser settings to allow a cookie from bisexual.com to be set. This keeps you logged in longer. If you are logged out while editting your profile/ad you will lose your edit, and without the cookie you are logged in only for a few minutes at a time.

I'm trying to think of a way we can warn members if the cookie isn't saved. But right now the only symptom is things like what you are seeing.

- Drew
    Hi, Drew!

Sorry if you read my last message as an answer to your post... It isn't... I was just trying to find the display I wanted for my message, as I cannot see the preview of it.

Curiously, if you read it after your nice answer, it seems to be sort of a bit harsh, what it wasn't my intention, as I was speaking almost as monologue, not realizing you had already posted an answer.

Sorry if it seems to be a bit harsh or towards you, what I repeat, it wasn't... Just saying aloud what I was finding... lol

Take care,

rayosytruenos

Hi, Drew!

Sorry if you read my last message as an answer to your post... It isn't... I was just trying to find the display I wanted for my message, as I cannot see the preview of it.

Curiously, if you read it after your nice answer, it seems to be sort of a bit harsh, what it wasn't my intention, as I was speaking almost as monologue, not realizing you had already posted an answer.

Sorry if it seems to be a bit harsh or towards you, what I repeat, it wasn't... Just saying aloud what I was finding... lol

Take care,

rayosytruenos
    That's okay Rayosytruenos. But if you don't mind I am going to reduce the size of the font of that message so it isn't as "loud".

I think you will find if you adjust your cookies setttings that miraculously everything will start working as it should for you on the site. With the exception perhaps of the occasional chat booting which is a mystery problem that even the chat expert cannot seem to find. But I am going to do some tests today to see if blocked cookies can cause that too.

- Drew

Hi Ray,

- Drew
    Hi again, Drew!

Oooops... the more I see my message in big size blue fonts, the more it seems like I'm shouting or something, what it was not my intention. I was just trying to see the results of changes in the settings of my messages to make them readable, with the fonts and colour I wanted, and visually nice, including some smilies.

So my comments about that it wasn't still what I wanted, it wasn't referred to your post (as I've already said, I didn't even know that you had posted an answer) but to the last display of my message which it wasn't how I wanted it yet.

I got even annoyed as without seeing the preview it's very difficult for me to check my spelling mistakes (I get quite distracted with all the tags and smilies and the monotony of the font), and that it's too late after submitting my post.

About the cookies, I have my settings to accept cookies, and I have no problems with other sites whatsoever, so as I'm not such a computer savvy (I'm more on the artistic side than on the programming side), would you mind explaining that a bit further in an easy way?

Maybe although I have my settings to accept cookies, you mean something else that needs to be done.

Thanks again for the site, support and quite answers!!!

All the best,

rayosytruenos

That's okay Rayosytruenos. But if you don't mind I am going to reduce the size of the font of that message so it isn't as "loud".

I think you will find if you adjust your cookies setttings that miraculously everything will start working as it should for you on the site. With the exception perhaps of the occasional chat booting which is a mystery problem that even the chat expert cannot seem to find. But I am going to do some tests today to see if blocked cookies can cause that too.

- Drew
    Haaaaaaaahaha!
    Blimey! You are quick!!! (I hope not in everything... )

Again our messages posted at the same time... lol

Hi Drew, another non-Techie who is experiencing the problem "not logged in" when posting a forum. It's something that has only been happening during the last week - the only change I have made is not accepting the "Remember Me" option when logging in. Is this the cause of my problem? Also, although my settings allow "cookies", I now use an "erase tracks" software and delete all cookies and temp. files before logging off of the internet - could that be a cause?

Thanks for your patience with us non-Techies. lol!!

Love and Peace

Rupe, UK
    Love conquers all

SweetAmy

Theres nothing wrong on my end of the internet.

About the cookies, I have my settings to accept cookies, and I have no problems with other sites whatsoever, so as I'm not such a computer savvy (I'm more on the artistic side than on the programming side), would you mind explaining that a bit further in an easy way?

Maybe although I have my settings to accept cookies, you mean something else that needs to be done.
    Hmmm, are you sure you are accepting cookies, because what you are describing really is exactly what one would see if our cookie was not being set. You may need to adjust a couple of settings (or even three) to accept cookies because they can be blocked by several different programs. The two most prominent are the built-in browser settings (in IE6: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy) and then an add-on security program like Norton Internet Security or a different security/firewall program. You must adjust settings in BOTH places.

Check your private messages (in two minutes) I am sending you a special url that will tell you what cookies from bisexual.com you have currently accepted.

- Drew

Quote Originally Posted by rupertbare
    Hi Drew, another non-Techie who is experiencing the problem "not logged in" when posting a forum. It's something that has only been happening during the last week - the only change I have made is not accepting the "Remember Me" option when logging in. Is this the cause of my problem? Also, although my settings allow "cookies", I now use an "erase tracks" software and delete all cookies and temp. files before logging off of the internet - could that be a cause?

Love and Peace

Rupe, UK
    Now that Rupe says so, I've noticed that when I'm logged out, a message from your site tells me that all cookies have been cleared which again makes me think it's more of a problem with your software than with our settings...

I hope these observations and others from other users can help to sort this problem out quickly.

Thanks again,

rayosytruenos

Quote Originally Posted by rupertbare

Love and Peace

Rupe, UK
    > I now use an "erase tracks" software and delete all cookies and temp. files
    > before logging off of the internet - could that be a cause?

Yes, if you use a cookies eraser and do not select the "Remember Me" box when you log in again then there will be no cookie set, and you will have problems with timing out (unless you are a fast poster).

- Drew
    Last edited by Drew; Sep 25, 2005 at 12:48 PM.

Check your private messages (in two minutes) I am sending you a special url that will tell you what cookies from bisexual.com you have currently accepted.

- Drew
    My google bar is set to accept popups from this site.
    My yahoo bar is set with the pop-up blocker off for this site.
    My norton internet security program is set to accept traffic.

I didn't know where that personal message you said was going to be, but suddenly a pop-up window appeared and I said ok, another one appeared and I said again ok, and then nothing happened, no feedback of what was going on as the windows disappeared also.

I have to say that reading to your answer to Rupe, I usually choose not to be remembered, as I understand that anyone then can access my account with no need to know my password.

Nevertheless the last 2 times I tried to post before when I was kicked out I chose to be remember making no difference to the outcome...

I'll keep you informed...

Thanks again,

ray

Thumbs up Re: What's wrong with the software running this site?

[QUOTE=Drew

Yes, if you use a cookies eraser and do not select the "Remember Me" box when you log in again then there will be no cookie set, and you will have problems with timing out (unless you are a fast poster).

- Drew [/QUOTE]

Hello again, Drew!

Although I think I haven't done any change, I've been able to update my profile, right clicking and copying and pasting later, my long ad, so I guess it was much quicker than typing it all again once more.

Not sure if I've accepted the "remember me" button. In case I've done any change, that would be the one, but I'm not sure if I will do it again, as I understand that then anyone can access my account without even needing my password. Can you clarify this for me, please?

Thanks for everything.

I'll keep you informed if I still have problems.

ray

I think the Remember Me option might have been the issue for you Ray. As far as I know, if you don't select Remember Me, no cookie will be planted. I had problems editting my profile after several minutes, when i logged on without selecting Remember Me. I think that was what you were seeing as well.

I am seeking out professional advice on this Remember Me thing, to see how we can minimize confusion regarding it. But the good news is that, with all your help, I think we have determined that there can be problems when it is not selected.

Remember Me does not affect whether your password is prefilled in or not (I think - but I am confirming that with the pros as well) - that is a Windows thing. And how that part of Windows works is way beyond me and i think depends on exactly what update of Windows you have, as my bank informed me the other day that Windows has changed the way the prefilled password thing works due to security concerns.

Thanks for help on this everyone, particularly rayosytruenos and Rupertbare for your detailed descriptions of what you were experiencing.

- Drew

Talking Re: What's wrong with the software running this site?

Once in a while, I will sign on to the chat room. In the process of answering all the "welcome cody", I get knocked out. I re-sign into the room and usually type "I fell off my chair" while recieving the "w/b cody"...I don't know if its me, but I jump in quickly and is not a real problem for me.
    Being bisexual doubles your chances for a date...

Codybear

Quote Originally Posted by codybear3
    Once in a while, I will sign on to the chat room. In the process of answering all the "welcome cody", I get knocked out. I re-sign into the room and usually type "I fell off my chair" while recieving the "w/b cody"...I don't know if its me, but I jump in quickly and is not a real problem for me.
    Well I think I "fixed" the issue that ray and rupert were sometimes seeing after some advice from a cookies expert. But I am still not 100% satisfied that a member will never experience the issue again and I may take a further step to stop someone from ever losing a long post or the perfectly worded personal ad.

The downside is that we extended the cookie duration and now members still show as logged on up to 15 minutes after leaving the site (compared to 7.5 minutes before). So the Who's Online list just got bigger and more difficult to read. But I am making changes there to make it more readable when it is so long.

But the chat booting continues to be a real mystery. The guy who wrote the chat program looked at our logs and said everything looks fine. But I will continue to investigate. Strange things these microprocessor interface devices (computers)

- Drew

Im not losing sleep on the chat thing.
    1 CLICK and im back in business..
    BIGREGORY
    BI and loving it

Ok, how about the Java that runs the chatroom? Is there a way to use third party software, Drew?

Dex

Hi Dex,

I am not sure I follow you... Java is 3rd party client-side software and so is the program that runs the chat which is written for Java.

- Drew

OK - I'm now leaving the "Remember Me" option "on" and have had no problem posting on the forum - and although it still SEEMS to take ages to return from Fridge Poetry to the sub-menu - that's fine and dandy (and great FUN) too.

As I've always pointed out - have never had any prob.s in either of the Chat Room versions that have been running in the last three months - just the odd hic-cup where we all get booted off - but as others have already said, it's a just a quick click to get back in.

So thanks Drew - and love the little "tweaks" you've made in last couple of days - "Buddies" in green etc.

Rupe, UK
    Love conquers all

I think the Remember Me option might have been the issue for you Ray. As far as I know, if you don't select Remember Me, no cookie will be planted. I had problems editting my profile after several minutes, when i logged on without selecting Remember Me. I think that was what you were seeing as well.
    - Drew
    Hi, Drew!

Yes, it seems that the "Remember Me" option has been the issue. By now I'm choosing it (although still concerned about somebody checking the history while I'm not at the computer and going to this site and suddenly seeing my info).

I've been posting a few times, and I'm not having problems by now (still I right click and copy my post, just in case it disappears).

I haven't been checking the different fonts and sizes, colours and preview... just in case... lol

Ah, yeah, I join Rupe congratulating you with the changes I've seen you doing. I find visually very pleasant now what it seems the final decision, with the profile, sex and flags in that order from left to right, besides the names of the users who are currently on-line.

All the best, and keep the good job.

rayosytruenos

What's wrong with the software running this site?

Ray when you log on you can click the remember me feature and then when you log out it will erase all the cookies so you wouldn't have to worry about the history part. Just use the remember me feature while you are logged in.
    I've used both ways and had no problems moving around the site with either. I just have the booting problem now since I downloaded java.

Arana
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7a7ac275b3.gif
    Hugs,
    Arana

Life is a strange thing...
    Just when you think you've learned how to use it, it's gone.....